Monday, October 8, 2007

Literally Literal

I want to start off by thanking a few people for positive thoughts last week. (FrumTeacher, JP, MH, AJ, MS) It really helped! I'm still struggling but I'm dealing.

Today I decided to do a rubric for quality work. Just a reminder... I teach first grade. We all gathered on the floor, I made a poster and asked them to tell me what a "good" paper would look like. This would be the middle row. I would then go higher for excellent work and lower for poor work. So, we start with what a good paper looks like.

Some responses:
straight
flat
not crumpled up
not torn

I then clarify that by "paper", I mean work products. The answers improve. I get appropriate responses like capitalization, name, date, neat handwriting, punctuation, etc.

Now we go to what a "not quality" paper looks like.

Some responses:
crumpled up
torn
spit on
balled up in a tiny wad and spit through a straw

First graders are very a literal creature! We eventually got through the process and I think they understood and took a little more control over their learning.

Made the day interesting though!

Have a good one!
(Tell someone you love them today!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"balled up in a tiny wad and spit through a straw". WOW! My kind of answer. This kid thinks like me.

Miss SS, you will have to let me know who came up with that.

Anonymous said...

They were right about what a bad paper would look like! I'm sure they're speaking from experience. Hilarious.

Anonymous said...

You've got to love freshmen! Really, the things they say and do are SO cute. Last week, one of my freshmen was taking a pop quiz in my class and she raised her hand to ask whether she was allowed to write on the other side of the paper. Aaah...