Friday, October 19, 2007

Kids... Gotta Love 'Em

After such a crazy and stressful week, it was nice to pick my daughter up today. I was looking forward to quality time with her. We got home, sat out on the front porch and she read a book to me. We then got her bicycle out and went around the block. The weather is great here and it was nice to go for a long walk and watch her ride her bike. We read another book when we got home. It was turning out to be a very peaceful and relaxing evening. I made her dinner and then she wanted me to read to her. I read her two more books. She wanted me to read more but I told her my throat was hurting and we would read later. She came and sat in my lap. We talked about her day and about the boy that sits at her table that distracts her all day long. She said he was moved to a seat by himself. I told her that sounds like it should help her pay attention in class now that he sits away from her. She said he still gets up and walks around and bothers her all day.

She then says, "I don't know why Mrs. A doesn't just tape or glue C to the chair. Then he wouldn't get up and bother me anymore. Tape might be better because she could cut it when he needs to get up to go the the restroom or lunch. Yeah, tape would be the best one."

What a great idea coming from the mind of a 6 year old! I'm sure no teacher has ever thought of or wanted to do that. (yeah right!!!) We need to start allowing children to come up with solutions that will help them actually learn and not be bothered by others in school.

It truly bothers me, A LOT, that this child is allowed to distract my child so much in school that she is beginning to fall behind. I work my ass off teaching all day long and then come home and teach until I go to bed. Teacher/mother/counselor/referee/cook/chauffer/entertainer/ organizer... This is my new title, 24/7!

Gotta love it!

No comments: