Monday, December 10, 2007

Exhausting

My first December blog! My school world has been a bit boring lately so I haven't had much to write about. My personal life, on the other hand, has been nothing but jam packed! So... here's a day in the life of "ME"!!

My daughter woke me up at 3am Sunday morning crying. Her throat was hurting and she couldn't swallow. I got up and took her temperature. She was running a 101.1 temperature. She stayed in my bed until morning. I got on-line and "checked in" to an urgent care center. We got up and ready to wait for them to call and let us know when we could come. They called about 9:00. We left and were on our way to get my baby better.

The area where this center is located is very building saturated. I couldn't find the place! I kept making u-turns and looking around everywhere. I finally decide to pull over in a parking lot to see if I can find an address and get my bearings. I look and there is a police car behind me, WITH IT'S LIGHTS ON!!!! I lean out the window and apologize for not seeing him there. I tell him I'm looking for the urgent care center. He looks at my pitiful daughter in the back seat and says, "Did you know your inspection sticker is expired?" Are you kidding me?! My freakin' inspection sticker. He was apparently sitting in this parking lot and happen to see my inspection sticker was expired. Oh my goodness!!! So, he gets my license and insurance and comments on how he too is an underpaid public servant (teacher... police officer) but still writes me a freakin' ticket! UGH! He points me in the direction of the center and we leave.

We get to the center and sit down. They tell us to wait about 5 minutes for the room. About 3 minutes after that, we hear a woman screaming for help and a man screaming OMG, OMG. The nurse grabs the phone and calls 9-1-1. Five minutes later an ambulance pulls up and they go in to the rooms. 45 minutes later, they wheel a woman out with bandages wrapped around her head. Apparently this woman fell and hurt herself pretty badly. So, now that we have been waiting for almost an hour, we finally go back to see a doctor. She says it appears my daughter has strep throat but she wants to do the strep test where they rub a swab on the back of the throat. My daughter freaks out, starts crying, and is getting herself very upset. She hates having that done, as do I. I ask the doctor if it's truly necessary and she says she would be able to diagnose better if she knew. I convince my daughter to do it. The doctor does the swab and my daughter begins to gag. She then begins to heave and spit up blood. Her throat is so irritated it is bleeding. This goes on for about 15 minutes. The doctor and I are holding a trash can under her and taking turns getting towels to wipe her mouth. My daughter convulsed so hard she broke the blood vessels on her checks and in her eyes. My poor baby!

The doctor leaves to do the lab test and doesn't come back for about 20 minutes. Apparently the lab tech was doing x-rays on a crying toddler and couldn't do the labs for a while. Well, the test came back negative but the doctor wanted to give my daughter a shot because of the severe throat infection. She said the shots were very painful so I opted against them. She instead said she would give a high dosage of antibiotics, an anti-nausea, and a throat numbing gargle. We finally get to leave!

We go by the pharmacy to fill the prescriptions. They are done and I go to pay. There are only two. The doctor forgot the antibiotics! The pharmacist had to call and finally we were able to get our medicine and leave. We got home, finally, 4 hours later. She took her medicine and fell asleep.

She is doing better today, thank goodness!

Well... that's a look into the fun-filled life of a teacher and single mom! Woo-hoo!

3 comments:

100 Farmers said...

I hope your daughter is feeling better. Even though my grand-dad was a police officer and I feel guilty for saying this-I think the guy giving you a ticket was a jerk.

Anonymous said...

The policeman was a dick. How is she now?! I hope she has recovered. Most urgent care sucks. Is there an acute kids urgent care near you? They are amazing!!

Simply Sublime said...

Thanks for your well-wishes guys. She is feeling a lot better now. The antibiotics kicked in almost immediately.

I'll have to look into that Sarah, thanks!