Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2 down, 3 to go!

Well, we are now two days into the last week before winter break. As expected, the kids are not focused on anything educational. I have resorted to writing activities and math problems based on "holiday" customs from around the world. Today we focused on customs in England and how Americans have adapted them. It reminded me of a student I had 7 years ago.

We were talking about the tradition of caroling and spreading cheer. I asked the students if anyone new what "carolers" were. I got this response, "The things my momma puts in her hair at night". I have never forgotten that response and it still makes me smile to this day.

Another student I will never forget will be "G". I wrote about him and the vision screening. He truly is the best reader in my class and has amazing recall of everything he hears. Today we were walking down the hall to go to the restrooms. I noticed something strange about G. He had his coat on upside down. The hood was hanging down in the back. I tapped him on the shoulder and told him his coat was on upside down. He looked, shocked, and took it off and then couldn't quite figure out how to put it back on. Poor kid! He is book smart but definitely not common sense smart. Gotta love 'em! They make me smile!

Three more to go!!!!

5 comments:

100 Farmers said...

My husband is one of the smartest persons that I know but still can't tell his left from his right. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

You will have to point out "G" to me.
OTAY.

AJ

Simply Sublime said...

:) 100F

otay AJ

EHT said...

Hi, I found you from Mister Teacher's place. I have found that my most intelligent students are sometimes the slowest with common everyday things.

Isn't is funny how it works out that way?

Simply Sublime said...

Thanks for visiting eht! It is funny how reasoning skills differ in kids. :)