Thursday, December 20, 2007

Dialects

The way we say things differently has always interested me. I love accents and dialects of all kinds and have gotten very used to the "accents" of my students. We have a large Hispanic and African American population at my school and they do pronounce words a little differently. Today we were practicing the long o sound when oe is at the end of a word. We were reading a book about Joe and the Doe. I always use these opportunities to expand on their vocabulary. I asked my students if anyone knew what a doe was. Only one child raised her hand. I asked "E" what she thought a doe was. She pointed to the front door of our room and said, "One of dem". I'm not kidding folks! You just can't make stuff like that up!

2 comments:

Dr Pezz said...

One of my Hispanic students used to always want to sit in the "jello" chair, the yellow chair. Very cute!

Mister Teacher said...

You still alive???