Sunday, December 16, 2007

Common Sense?

The group of students I have this year never cease to amaze me with their lack of common reasoning skills. Last week we had a mass hearing and vision screening for students. We were called by class to come to the auditorium. The nurses explained the process and showed the kids what to do when they were called. They were to go to the "hearing" table and then sit somewhere else for "vision" so the nurses would know who had both screenings done.

My students were wandering everywhere, they didn't know where to go or what to do. My favorite was G, when he had his vision screening. They have to put on a pair of glasses with one side covered up and then read the letter the nurse points to. They then switch and do the other eye. G was told to put on the blue glasses first. He stares at the two glasses (which are blue and red) and can't quite figure out which one to pick up. It's not that he doesn't know colors, he is actually a fluent reader and a very smart boy. He just gets REALLY confused. I go over and point to the blue glasses and tell him to put them on. He doesn't know how. He rests them on his nose but not behind his ears. I had to physically put the arms behind his ears. Next, the red glasses. He picks them up and puts them on... upside down!

Next week is gonna be an interesting one, being the week before our winter break. Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

100 Farmers said...

I picked up my 1st grader from her school on Friday(yes, I was not at my school)and am constantly amazed by the patience of elementary teachers. I am in awe.

Mister Teacher said...

I am in awe, too, as I have no patience myself. Wait, that's probably not a good thing, since I'm an elementary teacher

Simply Sublime said...

Thanks for the comments 100F and Mr. T!

Yes, he is a smart boy. I know... it's hard to believe.