Thursday, November 1, 2007

Rude Awakening

I awake this morning at 5am to the sound of a dog barking. It's a very unusual bark. A high pitched, annoying, continuous barking. I'm so angry that someone's dog has woken me and now I can't get back to sleep. I then realize, it's one of MY dog's barking! It's a bark I've never heard before. I'm so startled, I jump out of bed and run out into the back yard. I call the two dogs and they won't come to me. They continue to bark. All of a sudden, I hear yelping. Then it's quiet. I'm screaming my dogs name and there is no response. No movement, no sounds, nothing. I'm completely freaking out. I can't see anything because I don't have my glasses on, it's pitch dark, I'm in my jammies, and I have no shoes on. All I can think is that my dog's have been attacked by something and hurt badly.

I run into my house, grab my glasses, put some shoes on and then run back outside. It's still dark and I can't find a flashlight.

I run to where I last heard noises in the back yard. I see my dog's. They are standing, quietly, staring at a... POSSUM! There's a freakin' possum in my backyard! I am so confused and thankful that my dogs are okay I don't even know what to do. What was the yelping? How do I handle this situation? They won't come in the house with me. They just continue to stare at and bark at this possum laying on it's side. I'm assuming it's dead. I don't want them to do anything to it but they still wont come in.

I finally give up and go back in the house. By now, it's time for me to be up. I take my shower, get my daughter up, get ready for school, and look for a flashlight. Still can't find one!

I go back outside to check on "the situation".

IT'S GONE! The possum was playing possum!

It's still so dark outside I can't tell if it's gone or just somewhere else. Seeing as there is nothing else I can do and I have to get to school, I leave, hoping for the best.

I was dreading going into the back yard when I got home today. Great news! No possum anywhere. It was indeed playing possum and made it's escape. Yay little possum! Run! (And don't come back and cause my dogs to wake me up again!)

2 comments:

Mister Teacher said...

Maybe it was the possum making that weird bark and yelping...

Simply Sublime said...

It deffinately could have been...